Re: FC7 adding unneccesary mailboxes in /var/mail

Eric wrote:
> At 10:39 AM 6/25/2007, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>
> <JvM>>>>>What does Jack and Joe users being created at install time have
> to do with whether Jack may need to be able to send mail using
> his-favorite-program and thus needing a /var/spool/mail box but not
> receiving any mail in it because all his incoming mail is being
> forwarded to Joe?<<<<<
>
> The OP (Original Poster) asked the question about all these unneeded
> zero-length mailboxes being created at install time in /var/spool/mail
> for "users" like backuppc and jabber and privoxy.
>
> You said "What about Jack who needs a mailbox so he can send mail even
> though all his mail is being aliased to Joe?" and the answer is that
> Jack and Joe aren't created at install time, they are created later
> using adduser which creates the needed mailboxes even if Jack's mail is
> being forwarded to Joe.

Note: I did say more prior to this. Go read the entire thread.

> Thus, the install process could inspect the default aliases file and not
> create mailboxes for "users" who are aliased to something else, without
> any effect on Jack or Joe whose accounts are created with adduser, not
> the installer.
>
> That's all I meant.  Didn't mean to try to be "funny".

It's a shame though the install process doesn't have a modified aliases
file to compare anything against, and thus will not find 'backuppc',
'jabber' and/or 'privoxy', nor should it have anything other then
'adduser' to create accounts with, or it contains duplicate code.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip