Re: FC7 adding unneccesary mailboxes in /var/mail

Tim:
>>> Has anyone else noticed that FC7's /var/mail is full of zero-byte
>>> mailboxes for all users?  It includes ones for services (squid,
>>> webalizer, sshd, etc.), not just human users.

Chris:
>> Not until you mentioned it.  How odd.

Jeroen van Meeuwen:
> It isn't really that odd at all, since all users can receive mail.
> Sometimes though, they never do (some system accounts are in
> /etc/aliases and forward to root, some systems never receive mail from
> the outside world and are not being used to send mail locally).

Well, odd in that this is the first distro that I've seen do that.  I'd
have thought that the aliases file might have been looked at before
making mailbox files.  Or that they'd be created the first time a
message was sent to them.  Though I can see problems with configuring a
mail client for the first time, if it directly accesses the mail spool
file.

I can't see it being a problem, it just seemed strange.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.