Re: Firefox and Plugins/Mime type association

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 12:14 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On 25/06/07, John Austin <ja@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Firefox 2.0.0.3 and F7
> >
> > I really would like to know who or what decides how
> > the mime type to plugin/application mapping is determined.
>
> The plugins themselves register with the browser the MIME types they
> support. Look up the URL "about:plugins" in Firefox.
>
> > 2. If a mime type is supported by more than one plugin/application
> >    how is the download action table determined ?
> >
> > 3. Is there a secret way of changing the association as the
> >    FF Change Action GUI does not appear to give you this option ?
>
> Perhaps you can override some of the behaviour in "about:config".

Many thanks for the reply, I had not looked at about:plugins ... but

The about:plugins appears to show the contents of
the pluginreg.dat file

They are all shown as enabled

Also there are more entries in about:plugins than there are in
Preferences/File types Management/DownLoad Actions

Something must decide which plugin to map from one to the other.

John