Re: A bright idea...

On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 20:56 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> At my university, the winboxen can boot from usb, but they are
> configured to boot ONLY from disk. The BIOS is also password
> protected, and the case is locked. What is a poor Fedora junkie to do?

Save up to buy their own PC?  ;-)

> I unplugged one of the machines, then wormed a plastic stick (actually
> a stepped-on mechanical pencil) into the case, and actually managed to
> pop out the motherboard's button battery! Ten minutes later, there was
> no more password on the BIOS...

And how did you put it back in again?  Although every PC that I've tried
can be booted up without any BIOS settings being stored (it'll use
defaults, or get you to enter the BIOS and save some), I've yet to find
one that'll put up without having a battery.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.