Re: A bright idea...

Karl Larsen wrote:

Why not buy a 4 GB Flash USB device for around $50.00 and load F7 on that and then plug it into the USB port of the computer to upgrade and away you go. Cheaper than a DVD drive with a USB port :-)

Karl

Yup. My normal mode of operations. I carry around a 4GB USB thumb drive with two partitions: 1 = boot ; 2 = FAT32 with a custom (pungi rocks!) DVD image on it.

So last week-end my son asks me to build him a media server. I travel to his place because I want to see my grand babies. No sweat. I pop out my thumb drive -- hmmm... won't boot usb. OK -- hmmm... can't burn a DVD for him, he doesn't have a DVD in that system. OK, mount the DVD image on my laptop and burn the diskboot.iso to a CDR. Plug in the USB to his system, boot the bootable CD and proceed to load from the USB stick via my custom kickstart scripts.

Whew!

The moral of the story?

Not all systems will boot from USB, and not all systems have DVD players. :) Keep a CDR in your laptop bag.

Have Fun!