Re: OT: Apt-get vs YUM?

>     Your not 71 years old and didn't try yum first. Had you paid ANY
> attention to what I wrote you would have said " of course it didn't
> work, you don't use yum package-cleanup, just # package-cleanup". Yes I
> found 5 problems and they are all fixed.

Maybe he simply didn't notice the fact that you had appended yum to the
command - Certainly it took me a few moments to look back at your email to
see what you had done.

Hope you don'tmind my saying this, and please take it the right way, but
frankly you are frequently your own worst enemy when it comes to error
reports on this list. You frequently simply state something "does not work"
without giving any indication as to why or give any feedback to help people
help you.

Simply pasting into your email the output you got from the command that "did
not work" would help immensely .. In this case you should have included
something like

[root@localhost ~]# yum package-cleanup
Usage: yum [options] < grouplist, localinstall, groupinfo, localupdate,
resolvedep, erase, deplist, groupremove, makecache, upgrade, provides, shell,
install, whatprovides, groupinstall, update, repolist, groupupdate, info,
search, check-update, list, remove, clean, grouperase >

  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  -t, --tolerant        be tolerant of errors
  -C                    run entirely from cache, don't update cache
  -c  [config file]     config file location
  -R  [minutes]         maximum command wait time
  -d  [debug level]     debugging output level
  -e  [error level]     error output level
  -y                    answer yes for all questions
  --version             show Yum version and exit
  --installroot=[path]  set install root
  --enablerepo=[repo]   enable one or more repositories (wildcards allowed)
  --disablerepo=[repo]  disable one or more repositories (wildcards allowed)
  -x [package], --exclude=[package]
                        exclude package(s) by name or glob
  --obsoletes           enable obsoletes processing during updates
  --noplugins           disable Yum plugins
  --nogpgcheck          disable gpg signature checking
None

which would have made it completely obvious what you had done wrong. Instead
you leave out all useful information and leave it to those trying to help to
just guess.

Chris