Re: problems upgrading from FC6 to F7

Marc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble with an upgrade on my Dell Latitude D610 laptop.
> I have files I need to get off of the machine but I cannot get it to
> fully boot.  When I boot up it makes it to the following point:
>
> ....mounting local filesystem......OK
> ....enabling filesystem quotas.....OK
> ....enabling /etc/fstab swaps.......Failed
>
> Because of the need to rescue the files on there, I used the 'rescue'
> disk, and did an 'upgrade only' type of install.  Both times did not
> fix my /etc/fstab.  Twice I have done the full run of the cd which
> would seem to fix major system files since they are not user data.
>
> IOW I would think that Anaconda would straighten out the system files
> in the new fedora 7 environment, rather than rely upon what may or may
> not be screwed up with the existing setup --irrelevant as to whether
> the existing system is hosed or not.  (This to me, would seem to
> indicate a design flaw with anaconda, but that is a bit of a separate
> conversation.)
>
> Another separate conversation would be how to understand what made
> this thing happen.   I have not been using fedora much lately, and I
> have certainly not been in there goofing fstab settings around.  Why
> would my fstab just spontaneously corrupt anyway?
>
> Repair-wise, I don't know how to fix it, or what I would do if I could
> see it.  If I could boot up further in the boot sequence, I would go
> to another virtual terminal and try to vi the file, but I do not think
> the kernel and/or ramdisk have fully done their dance together at this
> point.  Hung up is hung up.
>
> Does anyone know a good way to fix this file?  I will print off your
> instructions and try whatever you suggest.  This is a dual boot box
> with windoze so I am unable to erase the machine as a whole at this
> point.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Marc

Marc,
 You may want to read the release notes for F7. If you are using
PATA (IDE) hard drives, the new drivers map them as SCSI drives.
Because of this, /dev/hda is now /dev/sda. This is not a problem if
you are using partition labels, or LVM, but it sounds like you are
using drive labels for your swap device. If you edit fstab and
change /dev/hd[letter][number] to /dev/sd[letter][number], it should
do the trick. For example, if swap is /dev/hda7 change it to /dev/sda7.

If you have more then one drive, it may be more complicated, in that
the drive letter may also change. In that case, post your fstab and
we can help. (We may need more information...)

You can test your change by running "swapon -a". If it works without
error, you have it right.

Mikkel