Re: Livna nVidia problems...

On 6/23/07, Chris Jones <jonesc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I guess I don't understand why that's preferably behavior.  If you
> don't have the nvidia driver installed at boot time, then you're going
> to end up with poor performance regardless.  And I've seen many
> reports of people who ended up with their system falling back to the
> 'nv' driver, they were unaware of it, and complained about poor
> performance.  So the sword cuts both ways.  Its only good if you
> understand what's happening, and in that case, wouldn't it be better
> to just install the nvidia driver?

Well, in my opinion Its preferable in the case when a new kernel (or X
release) comes out that isn't supported by nvidia at that time. This has
happen before. In this case it is a choice between booting into a system
where X is borked, or X is working abeit without 3D. I know which I would
prefer.

I'm not aware of any cases where the nvidia driver didn't work with a
released Fedora kernel (other than the original FC6 kernel which
didn't support non-GPL'd modules).  Perhaps you're referring to Livna
lacking the package, but that's a Livna problem.