Re: Volume Control use

David Boles:
>> I have had FC-3, FC-4, FC-5, FC6, and FC-7 all installed one after the
>> other. At the same time I have always had rawhide (the development branch
>> of Fedora) installed too.  And my mixers/volume controls have all worked
>> just fine.

There is something screwy about the ALSA mixer controls available
through gnome-volume-control.  But whether it's the same for all
hardware, or just some, I don't know.  Since it does show different
controls depending on some of your hardware's abilities, I'd say there
probably is some interaction.

Mine's a SiS SE7012, it shows all the volume sliders on a "playback"
tab, has no "record" tab, and has just a "speaker" mute toggle button
under the mic control.  (Screengrab attached.)

>> So I really think that your problems are either your hardware or Pebkac.
>> Really. And if I had to bet I would bet on Pebkac.

I wonder if Fedora would accept a pebkac man file for inclusion?  ;-)

Matthew Saltzman:
> No, in this case (at least), Karl is really onto something.  After some
> update, my F7 GNOME volume control show only one tab, "Playback", and
> Mic shows up there instead of on the "Capture" tab where it used to.
> And I can't set the +20db boost for the mic or select which mic is live,
> either.

For me, those controls are available, but they need to be enabled
through the volume control preferences.  The +20 dB boost does work.
The select does allow me to select/unselect the back panel mic, but the
front panel mic socket works for either selection.  There's another
preference that gives a mic capture switch, though the toggle doesn't
appear with the mic level control, but on another tab, and cannot be
toggled off.  I can capture sound from the mic whether the mic's speaker
mute button is on or off (tried it using Audacity).

I think there's some really silly design flaws in this incarnation.

--
(This box runs FC7, my others still run FC 4, 5, 6, & CentOS 5.0, in
 case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.