Re: Formatting CDs

Les Mikesell wrote:
Frank Cox wrote:

The modern replacement is the USB flash drives that you are starting to see along with gum and mints at the grocery store checkout in gig+ sizes.

I just sent in my claim form yesterday for a free 256mb flash drive from
Staples for purchasing two boxes of Avery labels.

It would be nice to get it -- I don't have a flash drive at the moment.

They are very handy - along with the external drives built around laptop hard drives that go up to 160 gigs in a very small package. The catch is that you'll need 2 to do the whole install or upgrade job. You can use a small one to boot, but copying the boot image is going to wipe out anything else on it. Then you need one large enough to hold the dvd image (as a normal file) so you can select a hard disk install and access it.

Yes and the latest from Best Buy I got caught in was a 2GB Flash drive that with a $25.00 rebate cost $8.00. I have the tiny thing and use it a lot. It works fine on FC4 FC6 and F7 with no work. Also Windows of course.

Karl