Re: eclipse, eclipse-jdt and what else?

    Dear friends

 I have an existing project, which I used under Rawhide with Sun's
Java. After a clean install of F7, I am trying to get it to work with
F7's java.

 OK, I started a new workspace to test, and this is what happened:

On 6/20/07, Andrew Overholt <overholt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 16:29 -0400, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
> On 6/19/07, Andrew Overholt <overholt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 12:18 -0400, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
> > >   I have installed Fedora 7's java, eclipse and eclipse-jdt, but
> > > Eclipse complains it can not resolve a lot of things, including
> > > java.io and java.lang. Which packages might I be missing?
> >
> > What do you mean it complains?
>
>   Eclipse detects many error in the source code, for example "can not
> resolve java.lang.Object"

I cannot reproduce your problem.  If I start up Eclipse in Fedora 7 with
gcj with a clean workspace and do the following, I get no errors:

- hit the "Workbench" button on the right of the welcome screen
- File -> New -> Project
- type "java" in the filter bar at the top of the "New Project" wizard
- select "Java Project" in the list, press Next

 If I press Next, nothing happens. If I double-click "Java Project",
a dialog opens, saying an error occured, and that I should check the
error log. I have no idea where the error log might be.

 How do I proceed? Thanks!

    Take care
    Oliver

- enter a name for the project -- say, "Test"
- leave the rest of the defaults (including java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0 as
the JRE)
- hit Finish
- when asked to switch to the Java perspective, click Yes
- right-click on the project "Test" in the Package Explorer on the left
- New -> Class
- leave the package blank, give a class name of Test, check "public
static void main", hit Finish
- navigate in the Test.java editor to the main method and type sysout
and press Ctrl-space
- after it has expanded System.out.println(), the cursor should be
inside the parentheses
- type a message -- say, "Hello"
- right-click -> Run as -> Java Application
- allow it to save the file (click OK in the "Save and Launch" dialogue)
- notice that the Console view opens at the bottom of your window with
the output of the program
- notice that the program terminates and the console changes to
"<terminated> Test [Java Application] ..."

Does anything in there not work for you?

Andrew

--
Oliver Ruebenacker, Post-Doc Researcher
Theoretical Biological Physics and Soft Statistical Mechanics