Re: adding a service to xinetd

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Don Russell wrote:
Fedora 7

I have a small telnet server listening on port 23, and want to run a
second one on port 8023 (rather arbitrary) which I'll use for testing
changes to the server app I wrote.

The one on port 23 works properly but when I try to connect to the one
on port 8023, I get an error: connection refused.

I tried this from the command line: telnet localhost 8023
and I get the 'connection refused' error.

I added port 8023 using the"firewall settings"... but it still fails, I
also restarted xinetd to pick up the additional server...

SELinux is in permissive mode.

I've obviously missed something.... but what?

Thanks.

Did you check that the telnet daemon you are using will accept
connections on a port other then 23? Depending on the daemon used,
it may only accept port 23 connections unless it is in the debug mode.

Yes, that's not a problem.. it just reads from stdin which xinetd takes care of

You may also run into problems with /etc/services. From the
xinetd.conf man page:

port  determines the service port. If this attribute is specified
      for a service listed in /etc/services, it must be equal to
      the port number listed in that file.

Mikkel

I will check that.. I did cal the service "telnet", which is usually on port 23....

I've verified it's some form of xinetd error/problem because "netstat -na | grep 8023" comes up blank. :-)

Thanks for the tip...