Re: FC5, Wine and NTFS

Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I have a similar setup.  I use ntfs-3g to be able to read and write to
>> my NTFS drive, but instead of using MS office, I use Openoffice to read
>> and write my Word/Excel documents.  I've had very little trouble in the
>> way of import/formatting problems and most of those were easy to
>> rectify.  Maybe this will work for you.
>
> What version of Openoffice are you using ? I think FC5 by default has
> version 1.X, which does have some problems with certain MS documents.
> However, the latest versions, 2.X, are much improved. I've not had any
> compatibility problems since updating.
>
> If you are using 1.X, I would consider updating to 2.X (the latest is
> 2.2 - There are rpms available from the main openoffice web site site).
> You may find you don't need MS office at all ;)
>
> Chris

I'm definitely using Oo2, but my boss loves his Excel Spreadsheets and
in some cases his exotic formatting doesn't import correctly.  Nothing I
can't fix, so I'm not all that worried about it.

--
Da mihi sis bubulae frustrum assae, solana tuberosa in modo gallico
fricta, ac quassum lactatum coagulatum crassum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support