Re: ARP question

On Thursday 21 June 2007 11:17:26 Rick Sewill wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 08:15 +0200, Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
> > El Jueves, 21 de Junio de 2007 03:34, Rick Sewill escribió:
> > > I suspect these ARP requests are caused by botnets, on the Internet,
> > > scanning IP address ranges for PCs to compromise.  There is a steady
> > > bombardment of Microsoft Messenger Service, NetrSendMessage requests to
> > > UDP port 1026, coming to my IP address.  Lucky for me, Fedora discards
> > > the message and no response is generated.  The botnets do not give up.
> >
> > Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean there but....how can botnets
> > make ARP questions through the internet?
> > As far as I know ARP requests are only made in LANs and it's impossible
> > for its to pass a router and reach the Internet.
>
> You are correct.  ARP requests are used on a broadcast interface to
> discover the association between an IP address and a MAC address.  ARP
> requests are not passed on by a router.  Let me explain.
>
> First, I wish to tell what I am currently seeing on my internet
> connection.  Next, I will guess, why I am seeing what I see.
>
> It is 3:10 a.m., my time.  One would expect my connection to the cable
> company to be relatively quiet.  I just ran wireshark for 41 seconds.
> I got 1871 ARP requests, 1870 were from the Cable company, and one was
> from a device with a Motorola (OID) MAC address.
>
> I also got 31 regular IP packets, of which 5 were TCP and 26 were UDP.
> Of the UDP packets.
>
> I originated one TCP packet.  The other 4 came to me.
>
> Sixteen of the UDP packets were unicast to me, to my port 6881, which is
> weird.  UDP port 6881 is a bittorrent port.  I admit to seeding Fedora
> 7, but that was a few days ago.  Iptables, by default, discards all
> packets I receive on port 6881, unless I explicitly open ports.
>
> The other ten UDP packets were DHCP offers, and DHCP acks, directed to
> the 255.255.255.255 broadcast address.
>
> The sender of all the DHCP packets, and the 1870 ARP requests, that I
> saw, had the same ethernet MAC source address.
>
> I did not see any NetrSendMessage during that 41 second interval.  The
> NetrSendMessage messages are UDP packets destined to port 1026.  I had
> seen the NetrSendMessage yesterday afternoon.  I never have a Windows
> machine connected to that interface so there is no reason a packet
> specific to a Microsoft protocol should come to that interface.
>
> I am guessing botnets are sending these IP packets, on UDP port 6881,
> and UDP port 1026, to every IP address in a range of IP addresses.
>
> In the case of the cable companies, I believe they treat the cable like
> it is a broadcast interface.  I believe they ARP for that IP address to
> get the MAC address for that machine.  I get these ARP requests because
> they are broadcast to me and to everyone with whom I share the cable.
>
> I actually don't see the logic to cable companies doing this.
>
> Cable companies should know the MAC address associated with my IP
> address.  Either the cable company assigned my IP address, in the case
> [...]

Nice explanation, now it's much more clear :-)
I forgot you were using a Cable connection, therefore all of the above is
reasonable, since they treat all their users as a part of a huge LAN.
I agree with you that that's not the best way to magane all their clients,
specially if we think about security...
It's the same in Spain, I was using a Cable connection (I will not give names)
very common here and it was such a laugh if we talk about security...
It was almost just a big LAN, no more...sad but true, though...

On the other hand...can you complain about that to your Cable ISP?

Cheers
--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.

be used for urgent or sensitive issues.