Re: Microsoft closes another deal, is redhat next?

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Skunk Worx wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Kudos to RedHat for sticking to their guns. Unix predates MS-anything
>> by decades so it's all kind of humorous.
>
> I'm not sure this is true, but even if it were, Linux is not UNIX.
> What we commonly call Linux is actually Linux (the kernel) which
> doesn't predate MS products, and GNU, which, as we all know, means
> GNU is Not UNIX. So, Unix dates have nothing to do with this discussion.

Actually, my recollection is that I started using Linux 0.12 some time
in the 1992 time frame.  About this time Windows 286 and Windows 386
were the MS offerings along with their DOS 3.x, 4.0x products.  UNIX had
been around quite a long time at that point.  I had been using versions
SunOS at work since 1985 or so.  It wasn't until Windows for Workgroups
(and DOS 5.0?  or 6.0?) that MS had an OS that was worthy of running in
a professional office networked environment and even then you had to
find/install their TCP/IP network drivers to get interoperability with
"real" networked computers.  Even so, MS didn't have a complete OS and
system until they released Windows 95 so in that regard, Linux does
predate Windows 95, even if the recent kernels do not.  And Unix
certainly does pre-date most of Windows, getting its start on some early
DEC computers.  I remember there being some UNIX computers when I was in
college (1974-1978).  In fact, some UNIX features (like file units and
pipes) made it into CP/M, CP/M-86 and PC-DOS (before it became MS-DOS).

While the exactness of the OP's statement is probably hard to prove
beyond the shadow of a doubt, I do believe his statement that "Unix
predates MS-anything" is generally true.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx