Re: Brief diary of an F-7 installation

On 6/19/07, Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andras Simon wrote:

>> 2. There should be an honest choice given between Gnome and KDE.
>> There is something sneaky about the way Fedora tries to get Gnome in.
>
> I remember being offered the option to install Gnome, KDE or a third
> DTE (Xfce?). I chose none, and got it :-) Which, btw is a definite
> improvement over older RH/Fedora installs. So I don't see any Gnome
> conspiracy here.

Where were you given that choice?
As far as I can see, you get no choice at all
unless you opt for a Custom Choice of packages
(which itself is non-default);

I must admit, I did. And probably so should everyone who knows what he wants.
Those who go with the defaults should not complain that the defaults
are not quite what they expect - as long as they're safe and sane
ones.

and then you have to choose the Desktop bundle,
uncheck Gnome and check KDE.
It's easy to overlook the fact that Gnome is checked in by default.

Why not give users a simple choice with radio buttons?

There is a simple choice with checkboxes, if you chose to have choices.

Andras