Re: Any progress on installing FC7 on a SATA system?

On June 19, 2007 04:14:00 David Timms wrote:
> Etanisla Lopez-Ortiz wrote:
> > What I have:
> > home-brew with 1 SATA hard drive and 1 SATA optical drive
> >
> > What I don't have:
> > FC7 installed
> > (even after trying "linux askmethod all-ide-generic nodmraid")

I had a problem getting Rawhide, about 6 weeks before the release of Fedora 7,
as well as all of the 6.9x releases, installed. The installer refuse to work,
after the lengthy choosing of the packages and the installation failed.

I thought that this had something to do with changing from PATA to SATA. In my
case, it didn't.

What it was was that the partitions on my drives didn't ALL begin and end on
cylinder boundaries. I had to repartition every drive (well, two). Definitely
use parted (command line), as it follows the cylinder boundaries. Don't use
any other program, except fdisk to get the partition order back in order (if
you add a partition, then delete it, then add it again with a different size,
then parted will mix up the numbering).

It is a pain in the ass, but in my case, it was definitely worth the trouble.
All test disks I have tried since, including Live CDs and the official Fedora
7 DVD, have worked flawlessly.