Re: yum, rpm, pirut, pup won't run on FC6

At 9:35 PM -0400 6/18/07, Eric wrote:
>A followup on my problem with rpm on FC6...
>
>yum, pup, and pirut all call rpm to install or remove the desired packages,
>right?
>
>So, I think that rpm is what is messing up.
>
>How do I go about uninstalling and re-installing rpm, without a working rpm
>to help me do it?

If that is really the case, you will need to re-install the OS and all the
packages you use, as the RPM database can't be trusted either.

In many cases a reboot, or just making sure that nothing is using RPM and
`rm /var/lib/rpm/__db00?` will fix strange RPM issues.

Sometimes it helps to rebuild the RPM database, with `rpm --rebuilddb`.
This functionality may be going away; if that happens, you will need to
re-install the OS instead.  It depends on having a good
/var/lib/rpm/Packages file.  If the RPM database is bad, `rpm --verifydb`
(also maybe going away) may detect the problem, or it may not.