Re: Removable Media not automounted as user

kwhiskerz wrote:
I used to use Fedora 6 and switched to Rawhide a few months ago, where mounting of removable media functioned as it should.

I now use Fedora 7 and notice that when I plug the digital camera (mass storage device) in or an external hard drive via USB, the hal system detects the device and correctly puts an icon on my desktop.

When I click on the icon, konqueror opens and in the location bar is media:/sdc5, which is correct, but, instead of mounting the device and showing me the contents of the directory, I am given the error message:"not in active session".

When I log in as root, however, it all works exactly as it should: the drive is mounted and the directory contents are shown in konqueror.

Curiously, I am shown as the owner of the USB hard drive, but only root can mount it, but root is shown as the owner of the mass storage camera, and I am unable to make me its owner (not that that would help, as seen by the result of mounting the USB hard drive).

The camera, unfortunately, only formats its drive as vfat, while I have the external USB hard drive formatted as ext3. This appears to explain why I am not allowed to change the ownership of the camera's storage, while I have been able to make myself the owner of the hard drive.

Also, I have noticed that the owner of CD/DVD drives is 'me.disk', but the ownership of removable hard drives is 'root.root'. It should be 'user.disk' like the others, because they are used exactly like CD/DVDs are.

I seem to be having a very similar problem, though with a firewire external hard drive. In FC6 running KDE, when I plugged it in, it offered to open the drive in konqueror as a regular user. Now with F-7, I get the same message you do. I can manually mount the drive as root, so I suspect it's the same issue, though I don't know how to fix it.

reid