Re: Fedora 7 freezes two or three times per day

Charles Curley wrote:
On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 12:37:05AM +1000, Langdon Stevenson wrote:
My Fedora 7 system is running well, except for the nasty habit of freezing two or three times per day when I am working. First: all windows stop responding to the mouse and key board, then soon after, the mouse freezes as well.

Have you successfully run other Linux disties on this hardware? Try,
e.g. Ubunutu 7.04, from a live CD.

A few more things to try....

Try using different applications. Use Konqueror instead of Firefox,
etc.

Run memtest86 overnight. If that locks up, you probably have a
motherboard or RAM problem.

Set up an SSH log-in for the system, and have that running. Then when
the display locks up, if the system is still active, it's probably a
video driver issue. top, ps, /var/log/messages and other tools may
give you some hints. Then, can you gracefully shut X down?

From what I see here, I think filing a bug is premature. You don't yet
know the component to file against, and without a definite cause a bug
report is not very useful.
I am experiencing the same problem on my old but trusty HP OB6000 laptop, P3 600MHz

- This platform has previously run FC4, 5 and 6 with no problems.
- This FC7 was a full install, not an upgrade.
- I have turned on full kernel logging and no event is recorded. It just stops, cursor freezes.
 Hard power reset required.
- Seems to be associated with updates. In other words, either a little after or during an update session, the system just freezes up. It seems that whenever I refrain from
 updating, I do not have a problem.

Philip