Re: $BROWSER

Michael Klinosky wrote:
Todd:
Out of curiosity, what app is it?

BOINC  (a distributed processing system).

I crunch on SETI, mostly - I love space stuff!

I tried
export BROWSER=Firefox
and
export BROWSER="Firefox %u"
Neither work.

Case-sensitivity may be the problem.  Firefox is not the same as
firefox.  You may also need to provide a full path, depending on what
the app that's using $BROWSER has set its PATH to.

OK. Well, I changed it - still not working. Perhaps an error message will help determine the problem:

[mpk@d500 .BOINC]$ which firefox
/usr/local/bin/firefox
[mpk@d500 .BOINC]$ export BROWSER="/usr/local/bin/firefox %u"

Did you shutdown the application and restart it from this shell after this line? The new $BROWSER will only take effect within this shell after that point, and judging by the output, you didn't do that.

(test function in app)
[mpk@d500 .BOINC]$ execvp(Firefox, http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/) failed with error 2!

[mpk@d500 .BOINC]$ export BROWSER=/usr/local/bin/firefox
(test function in app)