Re: Keyboard display on monitor

On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 23:05 +1000, Jesus Jr M Salvo wrote:
> Maybe a bit OT, but after installing F7 and playing around with the
> login manager under the Options menu, my notebook suddenly displayed
> this keyboard display on the notebook's monitor itself:
>
> http://members.optusnet.com.au/jesus.salvo/p6160028.jpg
>
> If I move the mouse, the pointer that is over the "keyboard" also
> move. If I select "Menu" on the top left corner, the rows of keys are
> highlighted, one row at a time, from top to bottom. If I select "Menu"
> again, the individual keys are highlighted from left to right. Anyway,
> I could not get rid of the keyboard display.
>
> Can anyone tell me what it is ?

It told you, itself.  It's "GOK."  Which, I seem to recall, stood for
Gnome On-screen Keyboard.  Anyway, it's something like that (I'm not
sure if the G stands for Gnome).  It allows you to enter keyboard data
when you don't have keyboard available, or for can't use one for
disability reasons, etc.

I would have thought that the preferences button would have allowed you
to disable it.  If you have no need for it, try removing the package,
once you manage to log in.  But you might want to look at the
accessibility preferences, first.  You may have accidentally activated
it (I seem to recall that multiple presses of the shift key, or
something near it, was a trigger to activate it).

P.S. You might try turning off the flash when you photograph a screen.
A flash doesn't help when photographing something that is its own light
source.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.