Re: Question on yum remove

On 6/16/07, Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Steve Searle wrote:

>> Why does "yum remove foo" try to remove every package
>> using anything required by foo?
>> Surely the rational strategy would be to leave anything
>> required by another package?
>
> No.  You asked it to remove foo.  It is rational that it does as you
> requested.  It would be irrational to:
>  - not do as you asked, or
>  - leave behind broken packages because it removed foo

You misunderstood me (I think)
As far as I can see, "yum remove foo" removes foo,
and also everything that foo depends on.
Then it removes everything that depends on the things already removed.
And so ad infinitum.

I would have thought it would be more logical
to leave anything required by another package.

Yum installed the foo dependencies. If no other package requires those
dependencies yum removes them. If that is not the case then it is a
bug.

Of course anything that requires foo should be removed.
But that is a different matter.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366