Re: totem <-> totem-xine

On Saturday, June 16, 2007 7:00 pm Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Wouldn't the packages then "upgrade" each other, leading exactly to the
> mess the name change was designed to avoid?
>
>         Kevin Kofler

I don't think they should; I dunno if the system actually works exactly like
this, but it was my understanding that a package marked with "Provides" tells
RPM that it can be a drop-in replacement for the aforementioned package
(meaning that totem-xine can replace totem and should be treated as if it
were totem as far as packages depending on totem).  Otherwise, the whole
concept of "Provides" would be pointless, because you'd either have to name
packages exactly the same to get replacements, or you'd have to toss in
multiple dependencies...