Re: What is en_US ?

Alan Cox wrote:

I never heard of anyone misunderstanding something
because it was in en_US rather than in en_GB.

en-US vrs en_GB maybe not but British vrs American - Most definitely yes!

The following are all first person true stories.

Hong Kong has a strange mix of both forms of English. Most people here
don't know the difference and are often confused by which is correct
when both are.

1) When I first arrived here, I was told by one of my colleagues to meet
them by the lift. My "What?" reply. was responded to with "Oh. Thats
right. You're an American. We will meet you by the elevator."

2) I wanted to ride on the Mass Transit Railway. I walked down the
street until I saw a sign saying "Subway." I went down the stairs and
through the tunnel until I came to the stairs leading Up on the other
end. No Train! I went back walking very slowly looking for the entrance
that I had missed. Again, I found only stairs leading up. I then
realized that in HK "Subway" had a different meaning than it does in Boston.

3) While I was never unable to understand a phone number with a double 6
or whatever. I had to stop and think about what it meant long enough
that I missed the rest of the number.

Mel