Bad initrd after FC7 install

I installed FC7 on my eMachines laptop. The installation seemed successful. On the first boot afterwards, I get a "Kernel Panic" message right after the line that announces the kernel is booting. At first I thought something was wrong with grub, so I started comparing my /boot directory with that from my FC6 installation. What caught my eye was this:

-rw------- 1 root root  50 Jun 13 17:19 initrd-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.img

50 bytes seems small for the initrd file. What do I need to do to fix this? Can I copy this file from somewhere else? Can I create it? How would I do so when I cannot boot into the OS? Bottom line, how would I fix this?

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson