Re: Installing F7 on System with Hardware Raid

Rick Bilonick wrote:
Any suggestions for installing F7 on a system (dual 64-bit Opterons)
with hardware raid? I'm not sure if the raid is connected to a
controller on the mb or a separate controller. (When the system was set
up, I remember there was some difficulty and I don't remember whether we
ended up using the separate controller or the controller on the mb. This
was originally set up with FC3 and was upgraded to FC4 and then FC6. Now
the system won't boot after twice trying to install F7 - it gets a
kernel panic - can't find a drive to boot from.)

I don't understand much about raid drives (two 250gb drives set up to
mirror each other). Would a good strategy be to disconnect the raid
drive and try to install F7 again? In addition to the two SCSI raid
drives, there are two ide drives and it booted from one of them. In all
the previous versions of Fedora, the ide drives showed up as hda and
hdd. Now, strangely, in disk druid with F7, they show up as SCSI sdc and
sda drives! I don't understand how or why this is happening with Fedora
7. It doesn't seem to make much sense. I thought ide hard drives used
hda, hdb, etc. drivers.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Rick B.

This may be a grub problem instad of a kernel issue. If you were able to do the install, then this is likely.

Boot into resue mode.  Just answer all questions to the default.
At the prompt you will see some text about where your filesystems are mounted. (/mnt/sysimage)
at the prompt:

# chroot /mnt/sysimage
# df -h

You need to verify where / and /boot are mounted. I am ASSUMING /dev/sda. It might be different on your system.

# grub-install --no-floppy --recheck /dev/sda
# exit
# exit

Remove the boot media and boot normally.

Good Luck.