Re: Compiling kernel under F-7

Giancarlo del Rossi wrote:

> The kernel profile is strong relatived to the hw profile of the system
> and the feature that you use (file system, network topology etc, etc)

Thanks very much for your response.
I've a feeling my problems lie with the new disk driver setup,
using pata/scsi .
I'm not sure what one should include in the kernel .config for this.

>> There is a problem running the orinoco_usb driver module
>> with the distribution kernel.
>> (The kernel usually crashes when WiFi is started.)
>>
> What type of crash ??

It is a kernel panic,
with a display of register contents, etc.
Unfortunately this flashes by too fast to take down.

> Look here for the latest drivers and relatived problems.

I do have the latest orinoco_usb program, downloaded by
svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/orinoco/branches/usb

> The orinoco linux driver (generally and wifi) have a  nice documentation
> here :
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/orinoco/documentation/

Thanks for the pointer.
I hadn't seen that.
Unfortunately, though, the author of the orinoco_usb comments
says that he ceased to run orinoco_usb in December 2006.
The version of orinoco_usb in use then (which I was using)
ceased to work with kernels later than 2.6.19 -
and these older kernels ceased to work, on this machine at least,
with Fedora-7.

The orinoco_usb source is somewhat separate from the main orinoco_cs source,
and is not included with the kernel sources.
It is very much a one-man operation by Pavel Roskin, I think.

>> So I am trying to compile a vanilla 2.6.21 kernel.
>> This actually seems to run OK,
>> but it waits for an extraordinary time
>> when it enters the Interactive phase.
>> What exactly is going on at that time?
>>

> What do you explan for interactive phase  ??

When the computer says:
Welcome to Fedora
Press 'I' to enter interactive startup

As I said, there is a very long (possibly infinitely long)
pause at this point -
I think I woke the machine by typing 'I'
followed by more or less random characters.

But what exactly is the kernel doing at this point?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366