Re: tracking down a lockup problem

Jeffrey Ross wrote:
Jeffrey Ross wrote on Tue, Jun 05 2007 at 09:36 (-0400):
I'm having system lockup problems with Fedora 7.  This is running on a
machine that ran FC6 for long stretches of time without reboot.

My questions are:

1) How to I track down what is causing the lockups
read /var/log/messages
and the output of dmesg.

Post your problem on this list, someone may be able to help you out.

2) When I find out what is causing the lockups how do I submit a
bug?
If it is really a bug and not some misconfiguration:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/

Andreas.
attached are links to the output of dmesg and /var/log/messages (last two
reboots)  I left them as links due to their size.  If anybody has
suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Also I have noticed that after a lockup, if I restart the machine with the
reset button the USB devices don't all come back unless I unplug and
replug them or do a second reboot.   The machine is running on a 2.8 Ghz
Pentium D (Dual Core) and Fedora is x86_64.  The Motherboard is an Intel
DG965RY with 2GB of RAM.

links:

http://jr.bubble.org/dmesg.txt
http://jr.bubble.org/messages.txt

Any help would really be appreciated!

Thanks, Jeff

I just installed the newly posted kernel (2.6.21-1.3219.fc7) last night
hoping it would somehow solve my lockup problems, alas, no such luck the
system just restarted itself via the watchdog timer. :(

I'm at a loss to provide useful information as nothing is sent to the
console (I've correctly set up a serial console).

Suggestions?  Everything was quite stable under FC6 and I would prefer not
to go back if I don't have too.  Am I the only one with lockup problems
with Fedora 7 with a Dual Core processor running x86_64 and Intel's 965
chipset?

Thanks, Jeff

There are many packages which are not contained on the installation medium but are part of Fedora and can be downloaded from the default repositories. Midnight commander, k3b and Thunderbird are examples of MIA packages from the install medium. There are many other programs in similar status.

I believe the theme for the installer is to include one mailer, office package. web browser and the like. All of the better in my opinion programs do not make the popularity list.

If you are missing your favorite program a yum install should bring in the favorite program.

Jim

--
What is worth doing is worth the trouble of asking somebody to do.