Re: Do we have a good alarm clock for the GNOME desktop?

Mark Eggers wrote:
Rogue wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:35:41 +0530
Rogue <roguexz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Now, for the real question, is there any good alarm-clock applet that I could use for the GNOME desktop? Currently I am using the command line sleep command to achieve what I want, but then it is rather cumbersome.

I use "remind" together with a silly app I wrote to popup messages.
Here's the link to my stuff:

http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/qtmess.html

(which, in turn, has links to remind and wot-not).
Going through the page.. thanks for the pointers :-)

later,
Rogue

A quick search came up with three solutions. None of them are Gnome - specific, but they should work.

xmms-alarm - which is available via yum
kalarm     - you'll have to install some portion of KDE
DASC       - http://www.davefancella.com/software/dsac.html

I've not tried any of them. DASC (a Python application) built cleanly and started up under Gnome.

/mde/
just my two cents . . . .
Hi Mark,

I guess I shall go ahead and build a Java based application once I am done with my exam :-) ... Given that Java 6 now allows me to place items in the sys-tray, it should be a fairly trivial task :-) ... Atleast, I do not have to see statements as mentioned on DASC's site ... this doesn't work, will be fixed later, etc.

On a side note, looks like my yum configuration is messed up, I do not see kalarm... which is strange... I have the Fedora and Livna repositories enabled.

later,
Rogue