Re: Wifi problems (FC 6)

On Saturday 09 June 2007, Anne Wilson wrote:
>I need to run this box on a wireless connection, and am having some
> problems.
>
>1 - I have a very poor signal, considering that the box is only around 3m
>(10ft) from the router.  I changed the antenna on the router to one that
> says it increases range by up to 50%, maximum 40m, but the strength
> received hasn't altered.  I still get only 40% strength.
>
>2 - I thought that wpa_supplicant cached the passphrase, but it doesn't seem
>to.  I still have to give the passphrase after bootup completes.
>
>3 - At bootup, ntpd tries to run before there is a connection.  I'd like to
>get the connection up in time to use ntpd at boot.  What would I need to do?
>
>Thanks
>
>Anne

If the network connection is valid by the time the rc.local file is sourced,
you might try putting a "service ntpd restart" at the end of it.

I think the theory on starting it so early is so the clock is correct for most
of the other stuff that follow it that can be touchy about the time, so there
might be some fallout to doing it so late.  However if you have passphrase
caching problems that's not going to work because it won't connect until you
are logged in and have handled that by hand.

Sounds like it might be a wpa_supplicant setup problem but I don't use it
myself even on my F7 lappy (yet).  Using WEP only ATM, it logs on wlan0
normally at boot time.  5 9's signal about a meter from an atheros card in an
x86 based dd-wrt router.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)