Re: Volume Control on Fedora 7

Karl Larsen wrote:
Paul Lemmons wrote:
-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Volume Control on Fedora 7
From: Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 06/08/2007 01:23 PM

Hi Gang: I have Skype on FC4 and yesterday I D/L Skype for F7 and it was a RPM that installed with no problem. But I can hear the other person but my audio is not getting to Skype so the other person can't hear me.

I looked for Volume Control all over F7 and found nothing! I have exactly that on FC4 so what has happened?

Karl Larsen

Try: alsamixer

I have frequently found that one or more of the volume controls displayed there will fix the type of problem you are experiencing.
Hi and I did find alsamixer and after reading man alsamixer I learned how to use it. But I turned on EVERYTHING and still the Microphne signal to the software Skype is dead. I can change the audio level I hear FROM skype. My mike is plugged into the sound card and it works fine in FC4. In F7 it's the same sound card!

I have another problem. About half the time I bring up F7 it does not come clear up. The background comes up fine but the upper and lower bars do not form and the things on the DeskTop are not shown. But I received some updates with no problem. I get out of the darn thing with Ctrl Alt F2 login as root and type reboot.

Karl Larsen
Hi Karl,

I have this problem occasionally, the problems seem to be with the wrong devices being selected for the mic. So I installed audacity. Everytime I think i am running into this issue, I launch up audacity and check that the input is set to mic, and then try and see if I am successful in recording some sound. Once I have confirmed that, I then launch Skype and it seems to autodetect the mic and works perfectly fine from there on.

I hope this option helps you out too.

later,
Rogue