Re: Hard drive install (upgrade) from USB drive?

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 10:34:59 -0400, Arch Willingham wrote:

> I have done it a bunch on six machines (its how I upgrade each time). I
> got this from this website
> (http://www.duncanbrown.org/linux/system_administration/
fedora_core_grub_install/)and
> have used it with FC5, FC6 and FC7:
> 6. Reboot your machine. As it boots you have the chance to this the
> space bar, do so and pick the menu item called  "Fedora Core 7
> Installation" 7. It will go through the normal set of questions. Once it
> gets to asking you where you want to install from, pick hard drive and
> the pick the USB drive (on every install I have done, it is the very
> last dive listed at the bottom). The enter the directory in the bottom
> box (or just "/" if you put it in the root). 8. From there it will let
> you pick the rest of the options.
>
> Good luck!

Hm, this is exactly what I've done, except I used the images/diskboot.img
w/memdisk (from syslinux) instead of the the kernel and initrd directly.
I compared the MD5 sums of the kernel and initrd from both isolinux/ on the
DVD and from the diskboot.img image and they're exactly the same.  (I did
try booting a kernel and initrd directly from grub, but I used the ones
from images/pxeboot, which I have used in the past (for doing network upgrades
on machines without a working netboot ROM).)  I could try using the kernel
and initrd from isolinux directly with grub, although I doubt that would
make a difference.

Can you tell me what your "legacy USB" settings are in your BIOS?
Is the grub you boot with on your normal internal (PATA/SATA/SCSI) drive?

Is there any way I can more directly debug this?  I don't have a shell since
that comes from stage2, which isn't loaded yet.  I suspect the other remote
debugging options are not yet available either.  Hm, yeah, looking over the
initrd contents, there really isn't much available at all.

Wil