Re: No kernel removal by yum

On Thursday 07 June 2007 22:24, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All
>
> Is it possible to program yum so that no kernel is removed when a new
> one is installed?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

As root in a text editor go to /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf.

Change enabled=1 to enabled=0 .

Now you will keep all kernel updates

I don't use Yum, but Apt, which keeps all kernels, but hate that default Yum
installonlyn.conf that only keeps 2 kernels.

That folks is a genuine pop at Yum's default settings, and the same goes for
Yum trashing the cache, especially if you're on dialup, and have multiple
instances of the FC version that you want to update.

Just for info. Apt, and the GUI interface Synaptic, are available from Fedora
extra's repo. Apt saves all kernels as default, and saves the downloaded
files in /var/cache/apt/archives. If you have limited harddrive space you
need to check the archives from time to time, as it can compromise your free
harddrive space. To send the archives to the trash, just run apt-get clean.

I have more than one instance of some FC versions, so save the archives to a
FAT32 partition. Then I can just copy them back to the next FC version that
needs updating, and save a bit of dialup time.

This is what it's like working with dialup. You're allways thinking ahead to
save download time.

Sorry if I'm rambling, but the initial bit of the post is usefull if you're
using Yum.

Nigel.