Re: bcm43xx mac80211: YOUR FIRMWARE IS TOO OLD.

On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 03:43 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Whatever it is, its not actually doing a full html conversion. No MIME headers
> are being generated, just a few character subs that aren't required in an
> otherwise straight text message.

It wouldn't matter what headers were generated, you can't use HTML-like
character entities outside of the languages that use it (HTML, SGML,
etc.), text isn't one of them.  I received that message as a text-only
message (not a dual text & HTML one), and it had that erroneous junk in
it.  The PHP doodah that created it is most definitely broken.

> You'll find a heavy resistance to the use of html mail anyway.  Primarily the
> objection stems from the days of slow modems & by the minute billing for your
> long distance service just to get to an internet access point.  In those
> days, anything that quadrupled the size of the message in byte count was a
> capital offense.  Even today, if we completely did away with html email, we
> would gain lots more usable bandwidth on the backbone.

It's also a waste of storage space.  For anything that stores mail
(archives on the web, people who download and keep mail, etc.), it's
wasting at least two-three times the space it really needs for the
content.  It usually makes a pig's breakfast of quoting, especially
anything with more than one level of quoting.  And then there's the
exploit potentials.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.