Re: bcm43xx mac80211: YOUR FIRMWARE IS TOO OLD.

I'd be really interested in a guide explaining HOW to get the old
driver to work in Fedora 7. I tracked down and replaced my old
firmware files with 4.0 ones because /var/log/messages told me to.

Except now trying to activate wlan0 tells me:

Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.

Determining IP information for wlan0... failed.

I'm presuming this means the firmware is now too new--I'm
really not sure. All I know is that the wireless card used to work
under FC6 and now it doesn't.

I can tell you that /sbin/lspci gives me:
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g
Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

and that /sbin/lspci -n tells me
03:00.0 0280: 14e4:4320 (rev 03)

...but this completely taxes the limits of my ability to diagnose my
own problem. I have tried Googling, but my search terms lead to very
discussions of the WPA Supplicant which are totally over my head, and
how this was a big problem in RedHat 9, but is All Fixed Now.

I have gone to bcm43xx.berlios.de. The Support page tells me to RTFM,
and the Documentation pages for installation that aren't about
Debian and Ubuntu lead me to a page full of links for "Russian Woman"
and "Airline Travel"--but it seems cheaper to simply buy a new
wireless card than to travel to Russia and ask the women there for
tech support.

I replaced the firmware files with the ones I had before that used to
work and added "blacklist bcm43xx_mac80211" to
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and rebooted. But that just made everything
worse. The driver didn't recognize the card at ALL anymore, even
though the bcm43xx driver was listed as the result of /sbin/lsmod.

I'm stumped.

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=175417&topic_id=38098&forum=10#forumpost175417
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and/or blame bucky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx