fc7 problem with xorg configuration

I only ran into one small glitch with fc7 install: the xorg configuration failed to detect my monitor, falling back to the generic VGA display. This meant the top display resolution was 1024x768.

Trying to run system-config-display was not helping either: even if I picked my monitor from the list, the xorg.conf was not being written to /etc/X11 (or anywhere else that I could find). Only if I deleted the /etc/X11/xorg.conf could I get a file there, and it seemed to be incomplete: it had no "Screen" section at the end listing the available resolutions.

Finally I ran it under ~root as:
# system-config-display -o xorg.conf --reconfig

and got a file I could use.

I depend on the Ctrl+Alt+{plus,minus} function to switch resolutions, but the default xorg.conf output has always produced a half-dozen or more modes, which is too many to be of any practical use but I can easily reduce this to the three or four I need. When the xorg.conf has no Screen section, it's of no use to me.

So my questions are:
1) Shouldn't Anaconda/system-config-display detect my monitor?
2) Is the Screen section being deprecated?
3) If so, then is there an easier way to get my required configuration?

I mean, it would sweet if running system-config-display was all I needed to do.

<Joe