Re: cpuspeed issue, present in Fedora Core 6 and in Fedora 7

On 6/6/07, Christian Burger <christian.burger@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Christian Burger wrote:
> > This issue has been plaguing me for a while.  I have an AMD x2 4400+
> that
> > keeps throttling down to it's slowest speed: 1000Mhz.  No matter the
> load or
> > cpuspeed settings she will not throttle any higher.  After a complete
> power
> > down and startup the speed will be at 2200Mhz but only for a seemingly
> > random amount of time.  It's a Shuttle system SN95G5v3 with nforce3 250
> > chipset.  I also get a lot of ACPI "can't turn cooling device 'on'"
> messages
> > in dmesg.  I've googled for months now and can't find anything of
> relevance.
> > Any suggestions?
> >

> If you left click while hovered over the applet, you should get a
> performance checkbox to show. Would this make any improvement for your
> usage. Mine maxes out at 1.52 GHz but usually stays at 530 MHz, its
> slowest speed. I like it at its low speed for my purposes.
>
> Jim

I know how to set the performance and userspace governors via the applet,
command line, and cpuspeed file in /etc/sysconfig but all yield the same
result:  dropping down to 1000Mhz after a random amount of time.  I checked
my bios and I have a 2 chassis fans and 1 cpu fan listed under my pc health
section.  I only have one physical chassis fan and one cpu fan, both of
which report speed back to bios.  I have one spot in the bios that lists the
non existent chassis fan as 0 rpm and I believe this is causing my problems.

What happens when you disable cpuspeed?