Re: fedora customized for low-end systems?

Ralf Corsepius:
>> Please define "low-end", "your home country" and "your target audience"
>> and which implications this would have.

Globe Trotter:
> Low-end <= 128 MB memory. CPU <= 1.4 GHz.

The memory requirement's a bit of a problem, 256 megs is a more
practical low memory level, but I run slower CPUs than that.

>> The question is: Why do you see a need to get around this at all?

> Because Gnome and KDE seem to be too much of a bloat: often taking
> five minutes to perform an operation, such as post-login.

Not here, they don't.  Booting up takes mine about 1.5 minutes, and it'd
be quicker if I didn't run a few services.  It's about 20 seconds more,
post bootup, to the graphical system is up and running.  Again, that'd
be quicker if I hadn't added a few things to the taskbar.

     1. 1.5 minutes booting
     2. logging in
     3. 20 seconds later, I can do what I want in my account

> I was referrring to something called as "Minimal (server) install.

Being a "server" doesn't require any graphical user interface.  Gnome or
KDE don't have to be on the system, at all.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.