Re: What I did to get NetworkManager, ipw3945 & wpa2-personal to work.

Rahul Sundaram escribío:
> Brian Millett wrote:
>> I'm running F7, NetworkManager-0.6.5-3.fc7.  I just could not get
>> NetworkManager
>> to connect to my linksys wrt54g router with the security set to
>> wpa-personal.  I
>> googeled all day long and into the night and all I saw was a lot of
>> other people
>> with problems.
>>
>> Tonight I tried to set the security to wpa2-personal on the router.
>> Tried again
>> to connect and just no luck.  Stopped NetworkManager, power cycled the
>> router,
>> tried again.  Still nothing.  Then I noticed (while tailing
>> /var/log/messages)
>> that it was still trying wpa, but I had tried to make a new connection
>> with
>> wpa2-personal.
>>
>> So I stopped NetworkManager, launched gconf-editor, located the
>> settings for my
>> router and unset all of the values.  Then I started NetworkManager,
>> and selected
>> my ssid.  Entered the pass phrase and watch in amazement as it made a
>> connection.
>>
>> So the long and short of it is that something in the gconf settings
>> was stale
>> and needed refreshing, but I had to do it by hand.
>>
>> Hope this helps someone else.
>
> Was this a fresh installation or upgrade?

It was an upgrade from FC6.

It worked for a while after the upgrade.  I was using eth1 for the wireless
card.  When I tried to use the iwl3945 drivers, I had some problems staying
connected to the wrt54g router.  It would work, then drop, so I made the change
to have the interface be wlan0 hoping that if I removed any non standard setup
that it would help.  It didn't.  When I tried to go back to ipw3945, that is
when I had the problems connecting to an access point with wpa-personal.

Long answer to whether it was a fresh install or upgrade.
--
Brian Millett - [ Sheridan and Ivanova, "The Long Dark"]
"You said the ship was reprogrammed to a new destination. So where was