Re: F7-Live-x86_64.iso?

On 05/06/07, Knute Johnson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Knute Johnson <linux <at> rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com> writes:
>
>> How do you get this on a CD?  All my CDs are 700mb and this thing is
>> 781mb.  Do they make bigger CDs?  Can I write them with my drive?
>>

> That ISO is mostly supposed to go to a DVD, but they do in fact make "bigger"
> CDs, they're called CD-R90 and CD-R99. Whether they'll work with your drive or
> not, I don't know, not all drives support them, and as they aren't defined by
> the CD-R standard, manufacturers are reluctant to guarantee compatibility with
> them. Another option is to use the so-called "Mode 2 / XA", which cheaps out on
> the error correction to gain space. Not exactly recommended for reliability,
> but it should make that image fit.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Thanks Kevin.

knute...

Another thing to keep in mind when burning more than 700MB to a disk.
The cheap disks are manufactured to much less strict tolerances than
the 'good' disks, while still meeting the minimum requirements. What
that basically means is that while a high-quality disk is good for up
to maybe 720-730 MB tops, the low quality discs may have a writeable
surface all the way out to 750+. I've burned over 750MB on cheap
media. Was quite a surprise the first time, as I hit Burn without
looking at the meter.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/