Re: Changing to different video card properly

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
Kam Leo wrote:
On 6/4/07, Christopher Mocock <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Barry Yu wrote:
FC6 - Every time I changed from a video card to a different one I
always
got problem mainly the X server won't start, when removed xorg.conf
filel and restartx sometimes it will auto detect the new card but not
every time.
What is the the proper procedure to switch to a new video card?
Especially the new one is a dual head ATI X1300 chip.
What is the difference between X -config and system-config-display
I switched from an ATI card to an Nvidia last week on FC6 and it worked
fine. Xorg detected the change and switched to the non-accelerated nv
driver. I then went to Nvidia's site, grabbed the driver, had to mess
around with xorg.conf for a while to get acceleration working properly,
but all in all it only took about 45 minutes.

I can understand your wariness though, I've had big problems in the
past, but I think Xorg is a lot more intelligent at defaulting to a
sensible config these days. Still, Benjamin Lewis' advice is worth
taking.

Chris.
If you know that you are going to change the card download the driver
software before you make the change. After the hardware change boot to
runlevel 3, install the drivers, and run "system-config-display
--reconfig".

You might want to hold off upgrading to F7 if your using a X1300, as the
open source driver doesn't support it and ATI's drivers don't yet
support F7.

Man I hate closed source drivers.

This is not a piece of cutting edge for quite a while already - at lease more than a year and half, can't believe it!