Re: Changing to different video card properly

Barry Yu wrote:
> FC6 - Every time I changed from a video card to a different one I always
> got problem mainly the X server won't start, when removed xorg.conf
> filel and restartx sometimes it will auto detect the new card but not
> every time.
> What is the the proper procedure to switch to a new video card?
> Especially the new one is a dual head ATI X1300 chip.
> What is the difference between X -config and system-config-display

I switched from an ATI card to an Nvidia last week on FC6 and it worked
fine. Xorg detected the change and switched to the non-accelerated nv
driver. I then went to Nvidia's site, grabbed the driver, had to mess
around with xorg.conf for a while to get acceleration working properly,
but all in all it only took about 45 minutes.

I can understand your wariness though, I've had big problems in the
past, but I think Xorg is a lot more intelligent at defaulting to a
sensible config these days. Still, Benjamin Lewis' advice is worth taking.

Chris.