Re: tidy bug

Tim:
>> p {margin-bottom: 0;
>>    font-family: Times New Roman;
>>    font-size: 12pt;}

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht:
> And even at that it is broken (although xhtml/css conformant).  The
> xhtml author is assuming that the user's monitor is of a certain DPI.
> LCD's range from 70dpi for the cheap junk to 150dpi for smaller
> laptops with higher pixel-count displays.  The font spec would be much
> more portable if the xhtml author left the base font size choice to
> the end user and simply specify font sizes as 50%, 70%, 140%, 200%
> etc.

I was avoiding getting, too much, into what's best, but merely
simplifying what the author had written.  Giving them a working example
of what they were already trying to do, with a simpler structure and
*much* smaller HTML file size.

Yes, it's generaly best not to write absolute font sizes for screen
display, but then we don't know if he's just doing this for a specific
machine, or for printing it out.  Points would, theoretically, be the
better way of doing fixed sizing, if you're going to do fixed sizing, as
it's *supposed* to be related to a real physical size (no matter what's
displaying it).  Other schemes are relative to an unknown, and variable,
starting size.

If I were being really picky about authoring style, I might also have
said that none of those lines were really paragraphs, that using just
margin-bottom without a margin-top might produce variable results in
different browsers, and they really should have been div containers,
instead.

There's a fair chance that those styles were just set by the authoring
program, and the page would display fine with all defaults (no style
rules applied, at all).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.