FC6 to F7 problem

  Hi all,
      I am trying to update FC6 to F7 on an old i386 box. 1GHz, 256Meg.
Anyway, the F6  are not found if I use the F7 upgrade disk. It whirs
and offers to install a new system, no upgrade option.
   SO I would like to  do a yum upgrade. But I found Dave Jones' piece:
 http://kernelslacker.livejournal.com/72836.html
saying don't risk it.
  Before I saw that I had tried - but it did not work - unsatisfied
dependencies, e.g. gaim needs old python, and yum did not seem to be
swapping gaim for pigeon. This is just one example of many.
   Can anyone suggest what to do?
    Cheers,
            Bill