Re: Resizing an LVM

Hi Chris,

Yes, I discovered the hard way last night that my idea will not work. After following the steps I myself outlined earlier -- it looks like both logical volumes within the volume group /dev/VolGroup00 were trashed. That means LogVol00 (which I think housed / ) and LogVol01 (which I think was swap.) /boot appears to be intact since it is outside of the LVM, but as soon as I did my partition shrinking procedure, and rebooted, the kernel panicked. I can't get the kernel messages to stop long enough for me to read them but I suspect the panic is because the kernel couldn't mount LogVol00.

I do get the impression that shrinking an lvm is a destructive process. It blows the filesystem away. Or perhaps my mistake was one of not getting the new lvm sizes all perfectly matched -- fdisk and lvresize.

I do have a backup of most of my critical files, so I can reinstall from scratch today or whenever and not feel too much pain. I hope.

Thanks

Bob Cochran