Re: SATA and Fedora 7

Hi

2007/6/4, edwardspl@xxxxxxxxxx <edwardspl@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Alessandro Brezzi wrote:
Hi

2007/6/4, oleksandr korneta <atenrok@xxxxxxxxx >:
Hello,

I have Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard with onboard SATA controller. I
have a long experience using Fedora on this hardware but I never used
SATA drives, only IDE. Now I got one, and decided to install Fedora7 on
a new drive. I heard a lot of scary stories about installing windows on
the boxes with SATA controllers, so I'm just curious -- are there any
surprises I should be ready for, comparing to installation with the
regular PATA hard drive?

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

I'm using SATA drives without any problem from FC1 up to now, both x66_64 and i386. One of my box is built around the same MoBo and I've installed a pletora of different GNU/Linux with this in the SATA drives.
I've used SATA disks from Samsung (very reliable) Maxtor (2 years life before crash) an now WD

HTH

PS: I've experienced problems with Windows XP installer when the SATA disk was filled up with Linux partitions
--
Alessandro Brezzi

Hello,

So, how did you install FC6 with your S-ATA HD ?
The kernel of FC System build-in S-ATA driver ?

Edward.

Yes, the installer know the on-board SATA controller (VIA chipset). Nothing special must be done, AFAIK. Not sure about PCI-SATA controller, never tested configurations like that.
HTH

--
Alessandro Brezzi