Re: strange shutdowns with F7 [Solved - I think]

On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 13:15 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> Took the cover off the machine, and found the problem. The CPU fan
> cable was hanging loose.

I got a PC back from the shop, once, in that condition.  I gave them
quite a berating over it.  It was even worse since we were in the middle
of summer, at the time.

More recently a friend's Windows box kept dying.  When I finally
convinced him to pull the box apart, we found what I'd been warning him
about (check the fans).  The graphics card fan had broken.  It would get
hot, and shutdown (crashing the PC).

I think that's what some systems depend on - the CPU protecting itself.
I've got a couple that will let you set fan jamming and temperature
alarm and shutdown temperatures in the BIOS, but others that won't.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.