Re: F7: unable to upgrade from FC6 (weird hdaX errors)

Hi Rahul, thks for replying. Comments below.

On 6/3/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
André Costa wrote:

> It didn't go too far: I was immediately presented with another error:
>
> "Error enabling swap partition device hda5: no such file or directory.
> The /etc/fstab on your upgrade partition does not reference a valid
> swap partition. Press ok to reboot your system".
>
> (notice again the 'hda5' instead of 'sda5'... could it be due to the
> fact that I don't have LABELs for hda5 and hda6?)

Yes. Due the libata changes from /dev/hd* to /dev/sd* everything
requires labels to upgrade smoothly. Fedora installer provide labels by
default but if you did any customization you might have to set it
manually. More information on how to do this is available in the release
notes at

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f7/en_US/sn-Installer.html#id3152635

I had read about the libata changes, but I thought Anaconda would
handle it somehow.

The link you sent does not explain how to create labels. But, 'blkid'
was a cool tip, it showed me that FAT partition already had a label
that was just not being used by /etc/fstab. As for the swap partition,
I used mkswap -L to set it (after turning swap off just to be on the
safe side).

After this, Anaconda was able to advance a little further.

... until it stopped due to some bug on:

/usr/lib/anaconda/iw/upgrade_bootloader_gui.py.

It appears line 78 caused an array index out of bounds error =/

Analyzing the error message it suggested it could have had something
to do with my /etc/modprobe.conf (it complained about one of the lines
starting with '#').

I booted back again to FC6, edited /etc/modprobe.conf, removed all
comment and blank line and gave F7 another try. This time it went all
the way through.

(I'll file a bug report about this)

Some additional post-installation quirks:

- FC6 kernel has been removed, but remained as default boot option
- 'smart' hasn't been upgraded, and now raises a Python error:

~ sudo smart --gui
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/smart", line 27, in <module>
   from smart import init, initDistro, initPlugins, initPsyco
ImportError: No module named smart

- yumex also fails:

~ yumex
RuntimeError: Bad magic number in .pyc file

- first attempt to login as root failed -- desktop appears momentarily
and then aborts, going back to GDM login screen. I was using beryl
with FC6, this might be the reason.

Well, it's running, but there are still some rough edges to fix...

Regards,

Andre