Re: Installing F7 by CD and not by DVD

Antonio Olivares wrote:
--- Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Antonio Olivares wrote:
Rahul,

  Also keep in mind that Fedora should not be
competing with Ubuntu.
Did I ever say it has to? I am not the one doing the
comparisons. Other folks are. All I am pointing is that not all packages are available in the media in the distribution that Fedora is being compared to and I think it's a valid point

No, you did not say that it has to.   However the
spins generated were attempted to compete with Ubuntu
+ Ubuntu Family.

It would be better if people actually asked instead of continuously assuming things like that. It was done because Fedora users kept asking for it. Go look at the archives for the number of times people have asked for Live CD's. So here is why the spins make sense for Fedora:

Before the merge, Fedora Core was available in the media and Fedora Extras was not. Fedora Live CD's were a repeatedly requested feature too.

So the "Fedora" spin was created to provide a good upgrade path and similar experience for users used to previous Fedora Core releases. When live images was created it doesn't have space to hold all the packages and a limited sub set with GNOME was created. Since there is a focus on enabling KDE integrating to be better someone volunteered to create a KDE Live images which was accepted.

Since all the tools to create a distribution and live images are available as Free and open source software in the Fedora repository anyone can create their own custom spins and that has become a highlight for this release.

Nothing to do with competing with any distribution.

Rahul